National Panda Day is celebrated every March 16th to celebrate the beloved animal and to draw attention to its endangered status.
Some quick facts about the giant panda-
- Giant Pandas diet consists mainly of bamboo and they can eat up to 30 lb (14 kg) a day.
- Female adults can weigh up to 200 lb (91 kg) and males can weigh up to 300 lb (136 kg).
- Giant pandas paws have one thumb and five fingers.
- Most wild giant pandas live in the mountains of Central China.
- There are less than 2000 giant pandas left in the wild.
Follow all of the National Panda Day postings on Twitter at the hashtag:
National Pig Day is celebrated every March 1 to honor the cute and intelligent animal! This celebration was started in 1972 by sisters Ellen Stanley and Mary Lynne Rave.
Here are some quick facts about the babirusa pig-
- The babirusa are found the Indonesian Islands of Sulawesi, Togian and Sula
- The babirusa is often called deer-pig due to the delicate shape of their legs and their large antler-like canines
- Babirusa eats: fruits, berries, leaves, nuts and small mammals
- The babirusa has little or no hair
- Pigs are considered the 4th smartest animal (behind chimps, dolphins and elephants)
- The babirusa conservation status is Vulnerable