International Zebra Day is celebrated on January 31 of each year. This day was set aside to appreciate the zebra and to create awareness about the need to protect the animal. The Grevy’s Zebra (pictured below) is considered endangered with only about 2500 left in the world.
Some fun facts about the Grevy’s Zebra-
- A zebra’s striped pattern is unique to each zebra
- Zebra’s weigh between 770-950 lbs (350-430 kg)
- Gestation of the Grevy’s zebra last 390 days
- Zebras can run at speeds up to 40 mph (64 kpm)
- Zebras eat mostly grasses, but also leaves and fruit
- Grevy’s zebras inhabit northern Kenya and Ethiopia