International Polar Bear Day is celebrated every year on February 27 to bring attention to the conservation status of the polar bear and to appreciate this large and cute animal.
Some quick facts about the Polar Bear-
- Adult male polar bears can weigh up to 1500 lbs (680 kg)
- Polar bears main food source is ringed and bearded seals, but also eat birds, rodents and fish
- Polar bears can swim nonstop for days and cover over 100 miles (161 km)
- Newborn polar bear cubs weigh about 2 lbs (0.9 kg) and are often a litter of 2
- Polar bears are considered a vulnerable species with about 25000 left in the wild