National Pig Day is celebrated every March 1 to honor the cute and intelligent animal! This celebration was started in 1972 by sisters Ellen Stanley and Mary Lynne Rave.
Here are some quick facts about the babirusa pig-
- The babirusa are found the Indonesian Islands of Sulawesi, Togian and Sula
- The babirusa is often called deer-pig due to the delicate shape of their legs and their large antler-like canines
- Babirusa eats: fruits, berries, leaves, nuts and small mammals
- The babirusa has little or no hair
- Pigs are considered the 4th smartest animal (behind chimps, dolphins and elephants)
- The babirusa conservation status is Vulnerable