National Zoo Lovers Day is celebrated every April 8 to encourage people to go to a zoo to visit the animals.
If you can’t visit a zoo in person, you can view animals via live webcam like at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. Other animal webcams are available at explore.org.
There are over 350 zoos in the United States and over 10,000 zoos located worldwide.
Reticulated Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata)
- The tallest of all land animals – males can grow as tall as 18 feet (5.5 meters)
- Can weigh up to 3000 pounds (1360 kg)
- Can run at speeds of up to 35 miles (56 km) per hour
- Native to Eastern Africa
- Have excellent eyesight and hearing
- Feeds off treetops – eating fruits, leaves, seedpods and pine-like needles
- Tongues can be as long as 18 inches (46 cm)
- Conservation Status (IUCN): Endangered
Continue reading →