National Hippo Day is celebrated February 15 of each year. This special day was set aside to raise awareness of the hippopotamus and their status as a vulnerable species.
Some fun facts about the Hippopotamus-
- Hippos are the third largest land mammals
- Adult male hippos can weigh up to 4000 lbs (1814 kg)
- Hippos eat grasses and fruit
- Hippos can ran at speeds up to 20 mph (32 kph)
- Hippos live in sub-Saharan Africa
- Hippos spend up to 16 hours a day in water to keep their skin cool and moist